Tuesday, August 30, 2011

It's a foggy morning.

            I was out walking very early yesterday morning.  The sky was dark.  The streets were quiet. The wind was still.  The air was crisp and clear.  And it was foggy.
            Living in town we don’t see fog very often.  It’s something that affects those living in rural areas more than those living in built-up ones.  Even yesterday, I didn’t really see the fog unless I looked toward a streetlight.  In places where darkness prevailed the fog was there but could not be seen, but when I looked to the light its effects were obvious.
            I think the work of the Holy Spirit must be a lot like that.  The Spirit is always everywhere.  Its presence pervades everything.  There is no way to escape its presence or its effects.  And yet, unless our eyes look toward God’s light, we just don’t see it.
            Some theologians believe that everything good that happens in the world is a work of the Holy Spirit even when the person doing that good deed is not a person of faith.
            On mornings like yesterdays when I am silently and invisibly enveloped in fog I understand what they mean.

Lord God, surround me with your presence and give me the grace to see your light in the world.  Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Sarah, please contact if you would like a copy of the comment/rationale submitted for the minority report.

    ReplyDelete