Sunday, August 28, 2011

Signs for the Fair

Recently, the Cottonwood County Fair was held in Windom.  The fairgrounds are not far from where I live and so I have an up close and personal look at all that goes on - not just during the fair but also during all the weeks of preparation that precede it.
Most people don’t notice, in fact I did not notice myself, but there is also a lot of activity around the fairgrounds that are just as important as getting all the buildings ready for the annual event.
All over town, someone was putting up signs.  The signs read: ‘Fairgrounds è’ and ‘ß Parking’.  The signs were not important in themselves, but they pointed the way for all those who are searching; to all those on their way.
In many ways, we have a lot in common with all those signs.  We proclaim the realm of God.  Our signs read ‘New Life in Christ à’ and ‘ß Forgiveness’.  We point the way to eternal life.  We direct people to the One who has redeemed us.  This is not just the work of pastors and evangelists, it is the calling of each of us.
            Just as the fair worker chooses the location and message of each sign, we don’t choose the place or type of work we do.  That choosing is done by the Holy Spirit working in us, through us, with us.
            Can you imagine a sign saying, ‘No not there!’ or ‘I won’t say that!’  Neither can I.  Yet often I try to negotiate with God about time and place – hoping for some more convenient time and place or for a message easier to deliver.
            But the Spirit knows best and in my best moments I let the Spirit have its way.

Lord God, make me a faithful disciple, delivering Your message wherever you want me to be.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment